The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via www.amdigital.co.uk
If you believe you should have access to this document, click here to Login.
|Title||Approval of the transfer of title of the seigneurie de Dombourg to Jean-François Bourdon, and census of leases on the estate [manuscript]: 1668 Oct. 8|
|Author||Bourdon de Dombourg, Jean-François (1647-1690)|
|Date||View date in the chronology|
|Document Type||Official Record|
|Description||From the Newberry Library Catalogue: Signed ratification and inventory, dated Oct. 8, 1668 in Québec, of quit-rent properties of the seigneurie of Dombourg, bordered by the estates of the abbé de Lauson and the sieur de Chastellez, and situated on what is now called Pointe-aux-Trembles (Ile-de-Montréal), on the St. Lawrence River. The estate, which once belonged to Jean Bourdon who died in Jan. 1668, now passes to his son, Jean-François, the transfer of title having been approved by Jean Talon, commissaire of the Conseil, and Intendant of Justice, Police, and Finance for New France. The "dénombrement," is a census of 60 leases to tenant farmers for certain parcels of land within the seigneurie of Dombourg. The census records the name of the tenant farmer, the location and size of the property (usually two "arpents"), and the rent to be paid yearly on the feastday of Saint Martin. Some of the tenants named include Jean Courtois, Jean Leonardeau, Jean Baptiste de Poitiers, Pierre Laforge, Charles Petit, Jacques Fournel, Robert Senat, François Pelletier, and Pierre Bouvier. Signatures of Bourdon Dombourg, Charles Terrier, and the notary, [Pierre de la Chesnaye] Duquet appear at the end.|
|Names||Bourdon, Jean (1601-1668)|
|Places||Pointe-aux-Trembles, Island of Montreal, Montréal, Québec, Canada|
|Keywords||inventory, inheritance, deed, land tenure, landowner, lease of land, census, property, New France|
|Theme||First Nations of Canada|
Jean-François was the son of Jean Bourdon (1601-1668), who was an early colonist, seigneur and engineer-surveyor of Québec. As a captain in the merchant marine, Jean-François gave up his rights to his father’s property which he could not work. In 1677, he sold his share of the fiefs of Saint-Jean and Saint-François for 3000 livres, and in 1680, sold his seigneury of Dombourg, to Nicolas Dupont, sieur de Neuville. Although at this point he decided to live in France, he sailed each year to Canada from La Rochelle, the trade center that controlled commerce with New France.
Verso of leaf  contains caption: "Adveu et desnombre[me]nt de Mr. Dombourg. 1668" with "8e. octobre" added in a different hand.
Acquired by Edward E. Ayer on May 27, 1905 from Parisian bookseller, Charles Chadenat; cf. inscription on verso of leaf .
|Library||The Newberry Library|
|Copyright||The Newberry Library|
|Collection||The Edward E. Ayer Collection|
|Reference||VAULT box Ayer MS 247|
|Catalogue Link||The Newberry Library Catalogue|