The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via www.amdigital.co.uk

Title Letters [manuscript]: Eggharbour and Princeton [N.J.], to Eleazer Wheelock, 1767 June 23 - 1774 Apr. 22
Author Brainerd, John (1720-1781)
Date
Document Type Correspondence
Description From the Newberry Library Catalogue: Two letters, June 23, 1767, and Apr. 22, 1774, from Brainerd to his frequent correspondent, Eleazar Wheelock, Congregational minister, Indian educator, and founder of Dartmouth College. Brainerd’s 1767 letter concerns the postponement of his Synod-sponsored summer trip to frontier settlements in Pennsylvania and Ohio and to the Indians of Muskingum (Ohio), given reports of Indian interpreter Joseph Peepy, who had just accompanied the Charles Beatty-George Duffield party to the same area. Included are discussions of a general treaty with the Indians to be negotiated that summer by Sir William Johnson and the readiness of the Indians for Christian proselytizing. The 1774 letter concerns a proposed mission to the Catawba Indians to which Brainerd hopes the Synod will appoint David M’Clure or Levi Frisbie.
Names Peepy, Joseph; Beatty, Charles (c.1715-1772); Duffield, George (1732-1790); Frisbie, Levi (1748-1806); Johnson, Sir, William, (1715-1774); M’Clure, David (1748-1820); Wheelock, Eleazar
Places Dartmouth College, Eggharbour, Princeton, Muskingum County, Ohio, Brotherton, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, United States
Keywords education, school, religion, Christianity, missionary, treaty, negotiation
Theme Missionaries and Education; American Indians and the European Powers
Tribe / Nation
Culture Area Northeast, Southeast
Additional Information John Brainerd was a Presbyterian minister and missionary to the New Jersey Indians. Born in 1720 in Bethel, Connecticut, he graduated from Yale in 1746, and then began his missionary work, first sponsored by the Correspondents of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel at the Bethel Indian settlement in Cranberry, N.J., 1747-1755, and later under the auspices of the Presbyterian Synod at Brotherton, N.J., from 1758 until at least 1768. In 1768 Brainerd moved to Bridgeton (Mt. Holly) where he built a congregation and a church, and during the Revolutionary War moved to a church in Deerfield, N.J., where he died in 1781.
Library The Newberry Library
Copyright The Newberry Library
Collection The Edward E. Ayer Collection
Reference VAULT box Ayer MS 105
Catalogue Link The Newberry Library Catalogue