The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via www.amdigital.co.uk

Title Testimony [manuscript]: this writing witnessed that we whose names are under written...
Author Anoosamaye, John
Date
Document Type Official Record
Description From the Newberry Library Catalogue: Testimony dated Dec. 18, 1682 regarding the sale of fifty acres of land by the Indians of Natick to John Grout. Following the brief testimony are the names and marks of eight Indians beginning with John Anoosamaye. On the verso Daniel Gookin, Superintendent of the Praying Indians within the jurisdiction of Massachusetts from 1656-1686, attested to the validity of the written document.
Names Grout, John (d. 1697); Gookin, Daniel (1612-1687)
Places Natick, Massachusetts, United States
Keywords land claim, land cession, financial transaction, colonial forces, sale of land, territory
Theme American Indians and the European Powers
Tribe / Nation
Culture Area Northeast
Additional Information Natick was founded in 1650 by missionary John Eliot as one of the seven original Praying Indian villages in eastern Massachusetts. After its establishment, Natick numbered about 150 inhabitants with a reserve of 6,000 acres of land. It eventually became the principal Indian village in the region. However, the outbreak of King Philip’s War (1675-1676) severely reduced its population and disrupted much of the mission work.
Library The Newberry Library
Copyright The Newberry Library
Collection The Edward E. Ayer Collection
Reference VAULT box Ayer MS 23
Catalogue Link The Newberry Library Catalogue