The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via www.amdigital.co.uk
If you believe you should have access to this document, click here to Login.
|Title||Voyage du Canada 1752 [manuscript]|
|Author||Franquet, Louis (1697-1768)|
|Date||View date in the chronology|
|Document Type||Travel Journal|
|Description||From the Newberry Library: Unsigned copy, dated Dec. 27, 1752 in Québec, of the original account of an expedition by French military engineer Louis Franquet to assess the fortifications around Montreal and Lake Champlain between July 24 and August 23, 1752. Franquet recommends improving fortifications in Trois-Rivières and Mont?eal by constructing garrisons of masonry instead of wood; and increasing production of iron at the Forges de St. Maurice. He notes the the resistance of the Indians to the construction of forts, and the tensions between Indians and missionaries in the native villages of Fort St. Louis, and Lac des Deux Montagnes. He also describes defense and communication problems in other settlements, including Fort St. Jean, La Prairie, Fort St. Frederic, Fort Chambly, and the island and river settlements around Lake Champlain.|
|Places||Montreal, Lake Champlain, Trois-Rivières, Forges de St. Maurice, Lac des Deux Montagnes, Fort St. Louis, Fort St. Jean, La Prairie, Fort St. Frederic, Fort Chambly, Canada|
|Keywords||personal account, travel, travelogue, fort, France, New France, settlement, white settlement, colonial forces, militia|
|Theme||American Indians and the European Powers; Observation, Representation and Cultural Encounters; Military Encounters: Conflicts, Rebellions and Alliances|
FULL TITLE: Voyage du Canada 1752 [manuscript] : memoire des remarques faites sur les principaux endroits que jay parcourús dans ma tournée de Montreal, du Lac Champlain et autres lieux despuis le 24 juillet jusqu’au 23 aoust 1752, 1752 Dec. 27.
Franquet was a French military engineer. He entered the army at the age of twelve, was promoted through the ranks as engineer, and in 1741 received the cross of the Order of St. Louis. He left France in 1750 to serve as chief engineer of the fort at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. He returned to Canada in 1754 as head of fortifications in New France.
BOUND WITH: Voyage du Sieur Franquet au port La Joye [manuscript], Newberry Library reference Ayer MS 299 no. 1.
|Library||The Newberry Library|
|Copyright||The Newberry Library|
|Collection||The Edward E. Ayer Collection|
|Reference||VAULT Ayer MS 299 no. 2|
|Catalogue Link||The Newberry Library Catalogue|