The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via

Title Voyage du Sieur Franquet au port La Joye [manuscript]
Author Franquet, Louis (1697-1768)
Document Type Travel Journal
Description From the Newberry Library Catalogue: Unsigned copy, dated April 20, 1752 in Louisbourg, of Franquet’s original account of his expedition to assess the fortifications of Isle Royale and Isle St. Jean between July 27 and Sept. 6, 1751. Franquet’s journal discusses navigational routes, difficult sailing passages, depth of the water, distances, and weather; and provides descriptions, measurements, defense assessments, and a census of officers, inhabitants and animals for fortifications in La Joye, St. Pierre, Rivier du Nord, Baye Verte, Beauséjour, Gaspereau, Trois-Rivières, Île-Saint-Jean, Toulouze, and Havre de la Baleine.
Places Isle Royale, Isle St. Jean, La Joye, St. Pierre, Rivier du Nord, Baye Verte, Beauséjour, Gaspereau, Trois-Rivières, Toulouze, Havre de la Baleine, Prince Edward Island, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, Québec, Canada; France
Keywords personal account, travel, travelogue, expedition, ship, transportation, fort, supplies, animal, France
Theme American Indians and the European Powers; Observation, Representation and Cultural Encounters; Military Encounters: Conflicts, Rebellions and Alliances
Culture Area Northeast, Subarctic
Language French
Additional Information

FULL TITLE: Voyage du Sieur Franquet au port La Joye [manuscript] : au havre de St. Pierre, au port destrois Rivieres de l’Isle St. Jean, a la Baye Verte, a Beauséjour, au fort de Gasparéau sur le continent du Cánádá et au port Toulouze de l’Isle Royalle : avec des remarques sur les endroits de l’etat actuel des postes qu’on y a etably, des forts qu’on y a construits, des augmentations dont ils sont susceptibles pour les meure en etat de deffense, de leux qu’on y projette et des avantages qu’on peut tirer de les differens etablissements.

Franquet was a French military engineer. He entered the army at the age of twelve, was promoted through the ranks as engineer, and in 1741 received the cross of the Order of St. Louis. He left France in 1750 to serve as chief engineer of the fort at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. He returned to Canada in 1754 as head of fortifications in New France.

Small slips of paper pinned to upper right corner of pages 7, 11, 25, 33, 41, 44, 49, 52, 54, 61, 76, 79 and 85 indicate where each of 16 [i.e. 13] plans of fortifications were to have been inserted, none of which appears in the Newberry ms.

BOUND WITH: Voyage du Canada 1752 [manuscript], Newberry Library reference Ayer MS 299 no. 2.

Library The Newberry Library
Copyright The Newberry Library
Collection The Edward E. Ayer Collection
Reference VAULT Ayer MS 299 no. 1
Catalogue Link The Newberry Library Catalogue